Tuesday, October 14, 2014

Greek Festival

By our first Friday in Nashville, we had experienced our first big move together (ever, dorm rooms and moving to Memphis doesn't count because we had zero furniture yet!), Michael had his first work experience at his new externship site, I had navigated a new city going from store to store to find things to set up our new apartment. I would say we were exhausted, but really we were just anxious to get out and explore. Our first outing was to the Greek Festival at the Holy Trinity Greek Orthodox Church. We were graced with beautiful weather. They had games set up so of course we had to let Paul take some shots! He didn't make any. 


We got to play in a fun little petting zoo! 




Paul loved the chicken!








Checking out the funny looking bunny.



Our big boy had to climb up to go down this big inflatable slide. I think he likes the climbing even more than going down.






After some games and activities, we got to the main event -- the food! I grew up going to the Pensacola Greek Festival and I was so excited to try out a new place. I love eating at Greek and Mediterranean restaurants too, but in my opinion, nothing compares to the festivals, where its usually the old ladies of the church making the food -- authentic and amazingly delicious! Anyways, here we go. 


Dolmathes (stuffed grape leaves) and spanikopita (spinach and feta wrapped in phyllo).


At the top, a gyro, Greek seasoned fries, and pastitsio with pita bread and green beans.


Close up of the pastitsio. I obviously couldn't wait to take a bite!


Everything was so delicious! Paul absolutely loved the gyro and Michael and I were so proud of him for trying something new. 


After we ate, we moved closer to the stage so we could enjoy the music and eventually watch the performances. I could tell Paul wanted to dance but he was hanging back. I asked him if he would dance if I went with him and he immediately jumped up and grabbed my hand. I went with him but gradually backed away until he was out there by himself. He had so much fun dancing until the performance started. Even then he almost jumped out and joined them when they danced into the crowd.












We couldn't leave without a box of baked goods! Ergolavos, wedding cookies, baklava and kataifi.


1 comment:

  1. I love, love, love your blog posts, Sam! Can't wait until we are in Nashville with you and can explore! :)

    ReplyDelete