Sunday, October 13, 2013

Downtown Museum Day

One Saturday in September, Memphis holds a Downtown Museum Day during which tickets to many popular museums are either free or half-off.  The weather was beautiful, so we decided to pick out a couple and spend some time walking around downtown.

Our first stop was the Memphis Railroad and Trolley Museum.  It was a pretty small museum, but had some really cool exhibits, including a Morse code simulator, a model train Paul could sit on, hobo signs and their meanings, and a toy train set for kids to play with.  Our next (and last) stop was the Cotton Museum, which we walked to since it was only about a mile away down Main Street.  The best part of this museum were the hands-on exhibits for kids!




We happened to run into our friends Jen and Ryan Widdison, which made the train museum way more fun!

Attempting Morse code

Super cool, sketchy, long tunnel in the back of the museum.



Seeing this made me add "train set" to my Christmas ideas list.

Had to get a conductor's hat and a train-themed soccer ball.

Walking past the National Civil Rights Museum, which we have to visit before we move.

I'm really hoping we can catch a show here sometime soon!

Checking out the Cotton Museum.

I have to admit, I didn't have much patience for the adult part of the museum, although it was set up nicely.  I did, however, love looking at the Cotton Carnival exhibit, which included this sign and a few outfits (up next).


I loved the kid part of the museum though!  I think we'd all learn a lot more from museums if they were hands-on.  At least I would!



No comments:

Post a Comment