Sunday, October 27, 2013

Zoo Boo

Last year for Halloween, Paul was only about 7 months old, and had no idea what was going on, so we took it easy.  This year, Paul is almost 19 months old and has his own big personality and likes and dislikes and I knew he would love all the excitement of dressing up.  I started thinking about costumes months ago, but hadn't really decided on anything.  Recently, we found Totoro (and other Studio Ghibli movies) and it quickly became Paul's favorite movie/TV show.  He had never stayed still long enough to watch a full movie until Totoro (and this has been a lifesaver several times).  He absolutely loves it, and does the dance to "make the trees grow" and hums/sings the song when he wants to watch it.  So I decided he should be Totoro for Halloween.  Then Michael and I watched Princess Mononoke, and decided we should be San and Prince Ashitaka.  I was very ambitious and further decided that I should make all three of these costumes, although I have never made anything useable beyond a travel pillow for Paul.

After consulting this blog with an adorable homemade costume (not to mention how cute the model is!) and this tutorial and many hours of cutting, sewing, ripping out seams, sewing again, ripping out more seams, etc..., I finished Paul's costume!  When I tried it on him, he kept looking in the mirror, smiling and pointing and dancing.  He knew who he was and I could tell he was proud of himself.

I also actually finished our costumes, too.  For those, I had no tutorials to follow and I just had to wing it.  Michael did an awesome job planning his costume and helping me pick out the materials and sticking by me while I was making everything!  I see more homemade costumes in our future.  But this was my first attempt, so please don't look too close at anything.

The Zoo was wonderfully decorated with ghosts and pumpkins and spiders everywhere.  Set up throughout the zoo were trick-or-treat stations, a dance party, straw maze, ghoul portrait gallery, graveyards, magic show, ice carving, haunted trails and more. We really just walked around and took everything in.  It was so crowded we didn't do anything we'd have to wait in line for.  Paul had an awesome time running from place to place (once he warmed up!).  Whenever we heard music (Thriller came on a few times) Paul had to stop what he was doing to dance!  He loves to move.

He is checking out his makeup in the mirror.


All dressed up and ready to go!
Totoro (for comparison)


Ashitaka and Totoro



San and Totoro

There was a father-son duo throwing a football across the street.  This is why he stood still and why he hardly looked at the camera.  A blessing and a curse.
San (for comparison)


At the Memphis Zoo.

Prince Ashitaka (for comparison)

The zoo was all decked out!


This part was a little scary so Paul didn't want to get down for a little while.




This makes me feel warm and fuzzy!

Our cute Totoro!  Also, check out that leaf.  I am pretty proud of it.  Did it all by myself just right on the first try.

Cheese!

Looking for gators.

I don't know if you can see his tail, but it was pretty cute.



I was so happy that he didn't mess with his costume at all.

He got to trick-or-treat at different stations around the zoo.  He found this (wrapped) Twizzler and would not let go of it.  He spent the night carrying it around and chewing on it.

Baaing at the sheep.


Checking out the cows!

Caught him yawning!  I thought this light display was pretty cool!  Check out that T-rex in the back (bonus, Paul is loving learning about dinosaurs right now!).

Trick-or-treating action shot!







Checking out his stash at home.
Posing with the Totoro I made him!  I'd love to say he carries it with him everywhere, but he doesn't.  He will pick him up for a few minutes at a time, dance with him or bring him to me occasionally.  But as much as I've tried, this kid doesn't have a security object.  Unless maybe it's me... 
Good night kisses for Phoebe at the end of a very fun evening!


2 comments:

  1. All the costumes turned out so dang cute! Also the stuffed animal is too cute! You're becoming quite the sewer!

    ReplyDelete