Thursday, June 5, 2014

National Civil Rights Museum

On my mom's last day in Memphis, we decided to go to the newly renovated National Civil Rights Museum.  The museum is located in and adjacent to the Lorraine Motel, where Martin Luther King, Jr., was killed in 1968.  We've always known we needed to visit, but this was our first time, and I'm glad we were able to come after the renovation.  It was truly an amazing museum and I learned so much, even with a toddler who kept me from reading everything I wanted to.  I can't really do the magnitude of the history justice here in this blog, so I'm not even going to try.  You'll just have to visit yourself.  The feeling that stayed with me the most was just that I hoped I have not and will not treat others unjustly and with prejudice, for any reason.  I think it's easy to say, "Of course I don't do that!" but being silent when others make comments is wrong too.  And I hate confrontation so I know I am guilty of that.




Memorial flowers for Martin Luther King, Jr., placed on the 46th anniversary of his death three days earlier.




View from the back of the bus.



The Memphis' black sanitation workers' strike brought Martin Luther King, Jr., to Memphis to lend support and visibility to their cause.


One room had a wall of phones, which each had recordings of people telling their stories.  Paul and I both especially enjoyed listening to the stories.


The next morning we had to say good-bye to Grammy.  We are so glad she came to stay with us for a while.  We wish we could see her all the time!



No comments:

Post a Comment