Tuesday, May 27, 2014

Paul Is Two!

On Wednesday, April 2, Paul turned 2!  We were very lucky to have Grammy around to help us make the day more fun!  It's kind of incredible how quickly the past two years have gone by.  He's definitely not a baby any more.  The night before his birthday, around midnight, I heard him wake up, open his door and a few seconds later, saw him waiting to be picked up at the side of our bed.  I don't mind!  I was actually pretty happy for this development -- now we don't have to get out of bed to get him at night!  ;)  I love getting that extra cuddle time with him.  I know one day he will be too big to want to be comforted by mama, but for now, I'll take any chance I get to be there for him.

 The morning of his birthday, after about 10 minutes of waking up time, he burst out of bed full of energy, like usual.  Maybe he gets that from his dad.  It's not from me!  We had some of his presents set up in the living room already.  He loved everything, but his favorite was a Thomas the Train set from Aunt Julie and Uncle Andrew.  When he saw it, he dropped his hammer (from his new tool set) and ran over to it, saying his trademark drawn-out-in-amazement "wow".

I had kind of a parenting fail moment by scheduling Paul's 2-year check-up on his actual birthday.  When I scheduled it, I was thinking, well, we don't really have any Wednesday activities and he's not getting shots, so why not?  Well, because shots any time create a kind of PTSD with kids (basing this statement on mine alone) and it is automatically triggered ( at least in his case) by the first interaction with the nurse -- the scale.  He was fine and agreeable until he saw the scale.  He immediately burst into tears and had to be held by the nurse to be weighed.  (She must do this often, she knew her weight and just subtracted it to get Paul's -- it was 24.4 lb).  He calmed down after I held him and read him a book in the room.  As soon as the doctor came in, he started to panic and cry.  I felt horrible for putting him through that on his birthday!  Once it was over, though, we got to pick up dad and go home to open presents and eat lunch!




I had kind of a parenting fail moment by scheduling Paul's 2-year check-up on his actual birthday.  When I scheduled it, I was thinking, well, we don't really have any Wednesday activities and he's not getting shots, so why not?  Well, because shots any time create a kind of PTSD with kids (basing this statement on mine alone) and it is automatically triggered ( at least in his case) by the first interaction with the nurse -- the scale.  He was fine and agreeable until he saw the scale.  He immediately burst into tears and had to be held by the nurse to be weighed.  (She must do this often, she knew her weight and just subtracted it to get Paul's -- it was 24.4 lb).  He calmed down after I held him and read him a book in the room.  As soon as the doctor came in, he started to panic and cry.  I felt horrible for putting him through that on his birthday!  Once it was over, though, we got to pick up dad and go home to open presents and eat lunch!



Already recovered from the visit to the doctor!



Michael's gift to Paul was a tennis racquet!  It is the perfect size for Paul to use now and will last a few more years.



After his nap we had ice cream with sprinkles!  He made sure there would be no candles when I got it ready.  We sang him Happy Birthday again and it has become one of his favorite songs to sing randomly.







In the afternoon we went outside to practice with the tennis racquet.  He did a pretty good job with it, however he really likes to hit everything with it (i.e. my leg, the wall, the dining room table), so we don't bring it out every day!

At 2 years old, Paul finds new things awe-inspiring daily ("Wow!"), reminding me of all the amazing things I take for granted every day.  He's very stubborn, but he's also very good at sharing, and will usually give a toy away as soon as we say "Share".  He says "Thank you" and "I love you" often, "Bless you" when he hears a sneeze, and "Peace" when he wants to shake your hand. 

He remembers everything: the word on the street in Sesame Street from two months ago ("humongous"), the snowman we built in the backyard in February, the shots he got nine months ago.  He loves getting dirt on his hands, but he doesn't like having food on them ("Ew!  Dirty!").  When you ask him how old he is he says "Sixteen" or "W".  He loves Pumba, babies and being tickled under the chin.  We love him so much!  Even if he is pretty silly.


No comments:

Post a Comment